REFRESHING MANGO ICE CREAM
- 2 cups ripe mango, peeled and diced (out of season, substitute with canned mango, drained)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- Combine the mango, ½ cup of sugar and lime juice in a non-metallic bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Gently heat the milk in a saucepan.
- Whisk the egg yolks and ¾ cup sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the hot milk slowly while whisking.
- Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, uncovered, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon – about 3 minutes. Do not boil.
- Strain into a bowl, and cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the mango mixture followed by the cream.
- Freeze in a metal loaf tin or baking tin.